WPA Committee Meeting held on Thursday, 13 February 2014
at the Silverstream Pétanque Club


Kevin McFadgen

Club Delegates



Kath Alison (Kapiti), Carleen Fitzgerald (Horowhenua), Graeme Morris (Masterton)


Kevin welcomed all to the meeting.

Previous Minutes

The minutes of the previous meeting held 7 November 2013 were taken as read. Acceptance proposed by Kevin McFadgen, seconded Margaret Mordecai, agreed by all.

Matters Arising




Letter from Silverstream Pétanque Club expressing their view on proposals to be presented at this meeting. Also a request was made for a more concise Financial Statement to be prepared monthly.



Treasurer's Report

Michael Rocks stated that the financial report is on the website for all Clubs to peruse. In answer to the letter from Silverstream, Michael stated that all delegates are responsible for the financial health of the organisation and it is necessary to know what the status is. Detailed information needs to be available for viewing.

The Statement of Financial Performance is basically the shortened form and Michael agreed to place this at the front of the report in future.

Kevin moved that the Statement of Accounts be accepted. Seconded by Claire. Carried.

Tournament Subcommittee

Presented verbally by Claire Bradburn. Reported on previous and upcoming events.

Also reported that Claire and Brian Bradburn and Doc Murray went to Wellington College at the request of a French teacher and over two days showed year 9 pupils how to play Petanque. Hataitai Club are to remain in contact with the school for future reference.

Claire agreed to send a written report to the Secretary.

Kevin moved that the report be accepted. Seconded by Margaret. Carried.

General Business

Proposal for purchase of tournament organiser kit

Following on from the discussion about tournament formats at recent meetings, I propose that the WPA purchase a tournament organiser kit.

The kit to contain:

The kit will allow the tournament draw to be made at the start of the tournament. The purchase of Sport will bring the WPA into line with PNZ which uses the Swiss system for the qualifying stage in national tournaments.


Michael explained the use and value of the kit. Claire moved that the proposal be left on the table to be handled as part of the Tournament Subcommittee Review and be raised again at the June meeting. Seconded by Colleen. Carried.

Entry fee guidelines

The Tournament Subcommittee would like the Members to consider the guidelines shown below.

The payment or refund of entry fees in the above cases is not clear although we have been told all entries are refunded when players withdraw irrespective of the reason.

The Tournament Subcommittee suggest the following guidelines:

  1. When there is a withdrawal from a tournament a refund is given as long as the tournament organiser is notified 48 hours or more prior to the start of the tournament (trophies have already been purchased and it may or may not be possible to fill the gap left by the withdrawal)
  2. When a request is made late in the planning of the tournament for a team/player to play in order to reduce the likelihood of a bye, no entry fee should be requested, but it would be accepted if offered.
  3. Where Clubs are asked if they can find more teams/players to assist with the tournament numbers entry fees would be expected.

Guidelines rather than rules are being sought as there can from time to time be exceptional circumstances which the committee might need to consider.


  1. After much discussion it was decided that if a player does not take part in the competition, a refund should be given.
  2. Vote on this point was not passed. All those playing in the tournament pay the fees.
  3. Everyone playing pays the fee. Carried.


A request from Manawatu was made for some rounds be played there in order to encourage Wanganui East to rejoin the tournament by reducing travel requirements.

Promotional pamphlets

Secretary to contact PNZ to see what pamphlets are currently available re the playing of the game, and what the costs of these are.

Meeting closed at 8:45 pm.

Colleen Horton